Monday, July 14, 2014

I Lied…A little

   I have been asked a lot why I would be taking a sabbatical from Facebook.  Probably by people who are curious about what could be the newest drama in my life. No worries, no drama (involving Facebook). It has been all of 4 ½ days, with the exception of about 4 minutes, this weekend that I have been on the site.   The story, which is not all non-truth, is that I am on way too much and need to walk away for a minute, and I need to also prove to myself I really can live without it.  Well, I need to come clean and share the full truth.
   The full truth is, I am fasting.  Fasting, for me, is not always involving food.  Fasting for me is giving up something that has been like an idol of some sort in my life.  So, week after week I will be fasting these things that I have let be too important to me.  So, for the first two weeks of my fast I let go Facebook and pop, specifically Mt. Dew.  These two items consume my body and thoughts in more way than one, and I am putting them aside for now. 
  Other things I will give up will include TV and candy, any junk food really! Candy? Yes! It’s bad, I’m like a child! I have a love for skittles and red vines, well any licorice for that matter. I enjoy a bag of popcorn with a side of queso to dip it in (don’t knock it until you try it). I am about one visit away from being known by name at KFC because the cookie dough ice cream is so yummy!  I think by any full body pictures you can find of me, especially about a year ago, it is obvious I have a great relationship with food.
   This fast is not just to give things up to prove I can. This is fasting and praying. It is a spiritual journey. I have read a lot about fasting and it is usually associated with food. But why isolate it to that? I feel I have other things in my life coming between me and my spiritual growth that I need to put aside, or fast. I will not say I am giving up these things, just taking a healthy break and re-evaluating our relationships.
   I have read up lot on fasting and it is known to be one of the most powerful spiritual disciplines.    I am going through a lot in life and have come to learn that when I have felt so alone, and like I have no one to turn to, God is the best friend I have. I never feel any judgment, embarrassment or shame when I come to him with an honest open heart.  I do not have to explain things over and again, because He gets it.   I am in a crossroads, and feel I am plateauing in my spiritual walk, so I’m stepping it up, I don’t want to fall off to the wayside again.  This is the one thing that I know will give me the strength and courage to be the woman I am supposed to be.  To be truly and fully happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment